Sunday, January 6, 2013

Good Person - Evil Person

I recently re-read the book The Buddha's Wish for the World by Monshu Koshin Ohtani.  I highly recommend you read it, too

In the Chapter entitled "We all like to put ourselves first", it tells how Shinran Shonin himself was the first to admit that he was full of blind passions and found himself breaking precepts.

"...those of us who live out our lives drifting on the sea of blind desires, unable to stem the tide of blind passions - who, through an epic encounter with the compassion of Amida Buddha, are truly brought to our senses and made to realize the negative tendencies of our ways.  Such a person is the one who at last comes to be liberated.  This is the teaching that the evil ones are the true objects of the compassion of the Buddha."
___________________________________

I am an artist...a very visual person when it comes to my thoughts...I imagine myself drifting on the sea of desires, blind passions, ignorance.... all of that stuff that I get bogged down in on a day to day basis.

When I think I am being "good" is that wrong?

When I think I am being "bad" is that wrong?

When I think I am.....is that wrong? (smile)

ok getting too deep now....I digress...

As a Shin Buddhist I look to Shinran and his struggles..emotional, spiritual, and physical struggles.  We can all relate to those same struggles.  After his early years of training, then meeting Master Honin his focus become clear...follow the Nembutsu path.

As a foolish being, I can do nothing, absolutely NOTHING to gain spiritual enlightenment on my own.  I am tethered to this earth by my desires.  I curse at the heavens one day and bow down to the earth the next.

I listened and heard the teachings of Shinran Shonin.  I found my refuge in the Nembutsu.

Never to be abandoned...a promise made and kept by Amida....truly a gift to mankind.

Am I worthy of such a gift?  I don't think I am most days...

All I can say is "thank you".

Namu Amida Butsu

thank you,
Jishin

1 comment:

  1. I found this blog today (September 12, 2015) and thank you for it. I do have a question that would perhaps allow me to better understand your blog. What is Amida Butsu to you?

    ReplyDelete