Monday, January 14, 2013

Becoming true friends.....


The following excerpt is from the Collected Works of Shinran

Related Works

Essentials of Faith Alone

Seikaku
...
Although there are many important doctrines concerning the nembutsu, they can be summarized in the preceding way. Some people who read this will surely ridicule it. Nevertheless, both belief and slander will become a cause for each one's birth in the Pure Land. With the pledges of friendship in this life - brief as a dream - to guide us, we tie the bonds for meeting before enlightenment in the coming life. If I am behind, I will be guided by others; If I go first, I will guide others. Becoming true friends through many lives, we bring each other to the practice of the Buddha-way, and as true teachers in each life, we will together sunder all delusion and attachment.

Honored Sakyamuni, the teacher,
Amida Buddha, compassionate mother,
Avalokitesvara, on the left,
Mahasthamaprapta, on the right,

The great ocean of immaculate beings,
The ocean of the three treasures,
Throughout the dharma-realm:
Singleheartedly I think on your witness;
Pity and comfort me, and hear my prayer.

____________________________________________________

"Becoming true friends through many lives, we bring each other to the practice of the Buddha-way, and as true teachers in each life, we will together sunder all delusion and attachment."

Thinking of this beautiful statement I owe my spiritual growth to many Dharma friends.  I can think of a dozen names right off the top of my head.  I started to write them here and the list went from a dozen to over 50!  I don't want to leave anyone out.....so I keep the names close to my heart and in my mind.

Thank you dear Dharma friends for your encouragement, love and friendship.

If you are reading this now, you too are my Dharma friend. Namu Amida Butsu!

Thank you.
Jishin


(Thinking about my friend Carole Panduren inspired today's posting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment